Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hot Dogs a la Foil

I have been making this for 35 years.  It is not the healthiest of dishes, but is a great comfort food!!  I always serve this with Stouffers Macaroni & Cheese.  This is a very easy meal and not many dirty dishes either!!!  Your kids should love this (as do adults!!)!

Hot Dogs a la Foil

2 C. chopped hot dogs (I use a 8 hot dog pack)
6 slices American cheese (cut in little pieces)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3 T. chili sauce
2 T. pickle relish
1 tsp. mustard
couple dashes of garlic powder
8 hot dog buns

Combine all the ingredients, except the buns.  Fill the buns with the hot dog mixture.  Wrap the buns with aluminum foil. (I usually wrap 2 at a time, but for parties I wrap them individually.)  Put them on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Here is the hot dog mixture in a bowl -

















Placing the mixture in the hot dog buns -

















Ready to go in the oven (by making it with the frozen mac & cheese I just put in in the last 15 minutes of cooking time) -

















The macaroni & cheese all bubbly -

















All ready to eat -

















On this particular night - I also served it with cole slaw (already prepared in the bag and added Marzetti Slaw Dressing to it made several hours earlier!) -

















These reheat very well as leftovers.  I wrap them in plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute.  I have made these for football parties and they were a success!  I can't remember if I tripled the recipe or if it was more.  I just wrapped them individually and you could keep them warm in the oven on very low or turned off.

I love how Lucy puts her paw on her face while she is sleeping.  I just thought of this -- I wonder what I would look like if Lucy were to take pics of me while I'm sleeping????  Horrors!!

















I am linking to Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Link Party.  You can click here to see all the great posts!

No comments: