Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ornament Trees























These are pretty easy to make.  This time of year you can find the ornaments and tinsel garland on sale.  You might want to get some and you can make these during the year for either gifts or decorations for yourself.
You will need:
ornaments in several sizes (shatterproof or glass)
tinsel garland (to match or coordinate)
Styrofoam cone
glue gun & glue sticks (use low-temp setting)

This Styrofoam cone was just about 10", but you can make any size you want.  You can do several sizes to make a vignette in coordinating colors, for example.  Begin, by hot gluing your tinsel garland around the cone.  (You could even use some old garland that might not be part of your current decorations!)  I only used a dab of glue - maybe once every couple rows.  I started with the bigger ornaments at the bottom (you may want to plot out the design with the sizes to make sure it looks good and you have enough).


















I took off the tops of the ornaments with my jewelry tool I use for beading.


































I then put some hot glue around the top of the ornament and then gently shoved it into the Styrofoam.  I don't think it gets in too much into the Styrofoam, but the little that it does with the glue sticking to the Styrofoam and to the tinsel allows it to hold pretty good.

















Progress up the tree changing to smaller ornaments as you see fit.






















In reading about others that had made these trees - they suggested not filling in any open spots with smaller ornaments as fillers because it loses the tree-effect.  I could just see mine coming out like a big round ball as I kept adding one here and there, then here and there -- you get the picture.  I like how it came out just fine.























I plan to make more of these for myself as I gave that one as a gift.  I have lots of silver ornaments bought last year at the after Christmas sales.  I did go the other day and buy more tinsel garland on sale because I did not have any spare of that.  Don't forget to add a cute topper to these.  I just used a glittered ornament for this one, but I have some silver star ornaments that I may use for the silver trees I'll be doing later.

While I like to craft and cook/bake and blog -- Lucy likes to mainly eat and sleep (and stalk me as I walk by, too!!) but I have caught her in the past watching some TV - although she acts bored with it now!!

















I have no idea what was on TV then - I'm sure something she wouldn't admit to watching!!

I am linking to Funky Junk's Linky Party that you can see by clicking here.  You"ll get lots of ideas there!!

2 comments:

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Great blog, Janet! The cookie parties look so fun. Upon reading about yours on CTTM, I have had two of my own, but we do them as cookie decorating parties instead. Perhaps a theme is in order though! LOL!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

FUN! Good project for the vintage balls I can't seem to pass by at yard sales...maybe next Christmas I'll actually get around to decorating!

And by the way, if Lucy's name was Maggie and she was a dog instead of a cat...sounds like my girl! :-)

Thanks, too, for stopping by my blog which is (finally) an actual blog again. Hopefully I'll get better at this in 2011!