Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chicken in a Roll & Lemon Bars


















Chicken in a Roll is one of my favorite recipes and fairly quick to make.  You do have to cook some chicken breasts, but you could always do them earlier in the day (or the night prior) and refrigerate them.

Chicken in a Roll
4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 T. chicken broth
2 green onions, chopped (use some of the green, too)
2 pkgs. refrigerator crescent rolls (16 rolls total)
1 beaten egg

cream of chicken soup

Combine the chicken, salt & pepper, cream cheese, chicken broth, and green onions in a bowl.  Divide your dough into squares and press/seal the seams - you will have 8 total.  (I do this part on a pastry board and do 4 at a time.)  Place 1/8 chicken mixture in center of each square and fold corners into center and make sure seams are closed.  Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  (I use my large cookie sheet/jelly roll pan.)  Spread beaten egg on the dough with a brush.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes - or til done. 

I like to serve this with cream of chicken soup.  Mix one can of soup with a half to 2/3 can of milk and heat. 

Ladle warm cream of chicken soup over each roll on your plate - if you desire.  This is great served with a side salad!

This makes 8 chicken rolls which is great for us and a visiting grandson!!  There is always some leftovers and these reheat in microwave well.  I save any leftover cream of chicken soup separately and put that over the roll before I reheat.  If you don't want to make this many -- you can always cut the recipe in half.


Here is the chicken mixture -

















The crescent rolls are ready -

















Crescent rolls with chicken mixture before folding up -

















Rolls folded up and on the cookie sheet -

















With the beaten egg brushed on the rolls -

















Cream of chicken soup heating while the rolls are baking -

















Right out of the oven -

















Now for the delicious Lemon Bars.  I found this recipe last summer at Two Peas and Their Pod blog.  I made it many many times and somehow must have considered it a summer recipe because I didn't make it all winter!  I don't know what I was thinking!!!!!!  Anyway, I just made them again last night (as a dessert to go with the Chicken in a Roll) and gave half to my daughter's family.  I'll probably make them again very soon as I still have plenty of lemons from my trip to the West Side Market.  This makes a small dish so they don't last very long!!!

















You can get the recipe here at Two Peas and Their Blog.  I found that I needed 3 lemons for this.  You just might make this your "go to recipe" to take to gatherings this summer!!!!


I have posted a couple pics of Lucy in this pose, but she has been doing it a lot lately.  I'll be in the kitchen and Mr. Cardigan will be on the computer (which is nearby) and I'll look up and there is Lucy - just hanging out like she wants to be part of it all.   I just love it!!!


















I am linking to Tasty Tuesday at 33 Shades of Green.  You can go here to see many more recipes!!

No comments: