Thursday, January 20, 2011

Southwest Stew

This is great to have on one of these cold winter evening!

















Southwest Stew
2 lbs. ground beef
1 C. chopped onion
28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
15 oz. can pinto beans (rinsed & drained)
17 oz. can whole corn (drained)
2 C. Picante sauce (I use mild because I don't like very spicy)
1 to 1 1/2 C. water
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
dash salt & pepper
shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish

In a large pot, brown ground beef and onion then drain any grease.  Add all the remaining ingredients, except the cheese.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour or so. 

This is great garnished with shredded cheese.   Also, very good as leftovers or for lunches later in the week.  We put some in the freezer this time for an easy (& cheap!!) meal later.


















I love Keebler Club Crackers and prefer them over regular saltines in some soups/stews.  But, I am loving these Club Minis!!!  No crushing them up - just the right size!!






















Don't you love how they are "eyeing" each other??






















I am linking this recipe to Foodie Friday at Design by Gollum.  You can see all the recipes by clicking here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love stew and yours looks so good!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Julie said...

I love your Valentines Day tree! The stew looks delicious, too.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Sooooo good for a cold day like today (it is so cold in NY/NJ, my train literally froze on the way to work this morning!). I'm a veg but this recipe is very similar to something I make...sans beef, of course. :-)

Unknown said...

I lvoe easy and cheap! My husband would love this. Thanks for sharing!

Cute Valentine tree by the way =)

Diana LaMarre said...

Yum, that sounds good! I am copying the recipe.

LOVE your Valentine tree in the header!