Friday, February 1, 2013

City Chicken

Pin It
We buy City Chicken all ready to cook on a wooden skewer at our local grocery store.  I did not realize until recently that this is more of a regional dish.  It is not chicken at all - but pork & veal.  I have not made this in years and years, but when it was on sale I decided we needed to have it!!!!  Now, I need to watch for that sale again and stock up my freezer!!

City Chicken

city chicken on a wooden skewer
several eggs, beaten in a separate dish
Italian seasoned bread crumbs, in a separate dish
milk, in a separate dish

chicken broth
salt & pepper
oil for frying

Dip each skewer in the milk, first.  Then, coat with the seasoned bread crumbs.  Next, dip in the beaten eggs.  Finally, coat again in the seasoned bread crumbs.

Heat about an inch of oil in pan.  When hot enough - put in the city chicken until the breading is brown on both sides - turning when one side is done.

Place the city chicken in a baking dish. Salt and pepper the meat.  Add enough chicken broth to coat the bottom of the dish.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Uncover and continue baking for 15 more minutes.

This can be served with gravy - pork or chicken.  I was so wrapped up in making this that it was several hours after we were finished eating that I realized that I forgot to heat up the can of gravy!!!!

The city chicken -
















Milk, bread crumbs & eggs all ready for dipping -
Dipping in the milk -
















In the bread crumbs -
















In the eggs -
















And in the bread crumbs again -
















Frying in the oil til brown -
































Ready to go in the oven -
































All ready -
















































Another preview of my Valentine's Decor, but this one comes with a story.  I really thought this was a clever idea that I thought of myself - not seeing an idea on another blog or Pinterest -- just an original idea.  When Mr. Cardigan came home the first thing he said (I didn't even realize that he had noticed it.) was - 'Did your container fall over?' Noooooooooo --it's supposed to be that way!!!  Decorating is just like art -- all in the eyes of the beholder!!!
































I could take a different picture of Lucy each day with her paw over her eyes.  She sleeps like this a lot!!  I think she is just being dramatic!!!
















I am linking to Designs by Gollum's Food Friday.  You can click here to check out all the amazing recipes!
A Foodie Friday Tutorial

No comments: